Hey guys, last night at my college’s animation collective meeting, we had a Skype call with the incredibly talented Chris Oatley. He gave us a ton of great tips. I thought I’d share some with you.
- You can never go wrong with painting & drawing (classes).
- Optimize your education—get as much out of it as you can.
- Composition & Life Drawing—two key skills.
- Learn as much as you can about composition and how color theory affects it.
- Don’t stay content—push it!
- One portfolio review from someone who knows what they’re doing can change your life.
- Just Draw.
- Don’t go all the way on the first date—be casual (when meeting an artist or rep.)
- Do great work—be great to work with.
- Build a great portfolio.
- (Disney Character Animators): Sketchbooks and Life Drawings are invaluable.
- Your work and personality will be what hooks them.
If you haven’t, you should sign up for Chris’ newsletter. The sign up form is on his website. Chris is really nice and helpful, so don’t be afraid to ask him questions.